What to Ask About Your Doctor's MIS Practice
The following are some questions you should ask your doctor about his/her practice if you are considering Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MIS). You can also download these questions as a printable PDF to bring to your doctor.
- What percent of your practice involves MIS?
- How long have you been doing MIS?
- How many MIS procedures have you performed in the last 6 months?
- What training have you had in MIS surgery?
- Do you present your work on MIS at peer-reviewed scientific meetings and journals?
- Are you Board-certified by either the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons (www.abos.org) or the American Board of Neurological Surgery (www.abns.org)?*
* Nationally recognized Board-certification entities are listed in the American Board of Medical Specialties (www.abms.org). The ABOS and ABNS are currently the only recognized Boards for spinal surgery.