In furtherance of our mission, the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery will launch its new Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program – for the first time spine surgeons will be able to earn a valued and globally recognized Certificate of Competency in a range of SMISS approved techniques.
Each SMISS Syllabi is based on a problem-based learning approach and transforms learners across four competencies:
- Knowledge: knowing and understanding
- Know-how: interpreting, decision-making and how to apply
- Skills: aptitude, ability & dexterity
- Attitude: expressed in behavioral terms
The SMISS Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program follows the principle of "Lifelong Learning" which is to partner a surgeon with education, tools, and support that will develop and maintain the surgeon's competence, proficiency, and expertise in MISS throughout his/her career. This will be the most important program initiative ever created by SMISS. The SMISS Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program will create a new global standard for minimally invasive surgeon education and training. With a limited intake of participants, if you want to be first to enhance your MISS career, simply click the button below.
The SMISS Syllabi consists of assessed online, workshop, and practice-based assessment modules to earn credits in four domains:
- Patient: history, anatomy, diagnosis, selection
- Imaging: systems, quality, interpretation, problems & controversies
- Surgical technique: room setup, procedure, instrumentation, problems & controversies
- Outcomes: best practices, complications, PROMs, rehabilitation
The launch syllabi will be:
- SMISS Percutaneous Pedicle Screw
- SMISS Transforminal Lumber Interbody Fusion
- SMISS Lateral Approach to Interbody Fusion
The SMISS Percutaneous Pedicle Screw Fixation CPD Program will be the first syllabus scheduled to launch in its entirety in November 2015.